There are a few symbols that “define’ Venice all around the world: San Marco’s square, the Rialto Bridge, and the Gondolas.
While it is possible to find books and guides speaking in detail about the architecture in Venice, the descriptions about design and characteristics of a Gondola often fall short.
One of our favorites, and often not known, symbols of Venice is the “ferò da próva“, the Front Ornament of the Gondola
The beautiful shape and decorations of the front ornament are full of meaning:
– The shape of the top of the “Fero” refers to the shape of the hat of the doge. (Yes, according to our current fashion the shape of the hat is weird indeed)
– The six rectangles on the front, represent the six districts of Venice: San Marco, San Polo, Santa Croce, Cannaregio, Dorsoduro and Castello
– The rectangle on the back represents the island of the Giudecca
– The shape enclosed by the top “hat” and the first rectangle, represents the Basin of San Marco. The arched line represents the Rialto bridge
– The sinuous line running from the top of the “Fero” until the bottom of the gondola, represents the Canal Grande
– The three decorations on the front, represent the three most important island for the Serenissima: Murano, Burano and Torcello
Would you have ever imagined that the front of the Gondola symbolized so many characteristics of Venice?
I'm visiting Venice. Why should I follow your recommendations?
The way you visit Venice has an impact both on the quality of your experience and on Venice itself. Chilling, exploring, shopping, eating and drinking where the locals do, can make a huge impact both on the memories you bring home and on the local economy and community.
POPULAR POSTS LIKE THIS
- The Grand Canal of Venice seen from the water: Video 360 and facts about the history and architecture of the Canal Grande
- The Gondola di traghetto to cross the Grand Canal of Venice: Video 360 and facts about one of the oldest public transportation in Venice
- Thought about riding a Gondola or not, when in Venice
Liked this article? Don’t forget to share the love!
Facts, Curiosities, History of Venice, Italy
More about life in Venice, Italy
Want more tips, tools and stories from Venice, Italy?
We're on a mission to make it easy and fun to discover and support the authentic Venice. Try our email and see for yourself!